Sunday, December 17, 2006

It's The Holiday Homesick

It's the holiday season. I thought I was doing pretty good considering I am frustrated, still in pain, and can't keep my foot down for long. Then today, I was having some female friends down for coffee. This means two hours of chatter and solving the world's problems. I had put out a few decorations, set the table in the barbie area with holiday tablecloth etc...and put some Christmas music on for background. I had everything ready and then sat down with my foot up to wait.

'I'll Be Home For Christmas' started to play and suddenly - tears fell. The Wee Welshman was at work. The dogs were lolling about and I was going through tissues at an alarming rate. It happens every year. Generally, on Christmas Eve around midnight. I will put out all the lights, put some of my favorite holiday music on low and sit there in the soft glow of the Christmas tree lights speeding down memory lane. Niagra Falls.

I wait until the WW is in bed. I also wait for the kids to go to bed if they happen to be home for the holiday. This year - it has all been a bit to much for me. The waterworks started early. I don't want hubbie to see this because he thinks I am very adult about the whole homesickness thing. And I certainly didn't want my girlfriends to see it. Sympathy was the last thing I needed this morning. I needed a butt kicking.

All my family is alive and basicly well. My friends are the same. We have heaps to be thankful for. Tears are really not necessary. There is just something about this holiday and how much I love it. I miss doing it New England style. I want Currier and Ives and Norman Rockwell. I want to see a fire in the fireplace, smell pine, hear little children plot, put cookies out for Santa, attend a Christmas Eve Church service where I have to bundle up and my nose is red from the cold. I don't want to melt from heat if I bake too much.

Christmas makes me a kid again - every year. I think I better go put out our stockings just in case Santa can get through all the smoke from bush fires run amuck.

2 comments:

Food Kitty said...

Consider your butt well and truly kicked Missy!!
Anyway, tears release endorphins and are good for you - chocolate makes your eyes less puffy though!

We had White Christmas in Hobart one year; I am vague - it was after 1980, but before 1984. Snow wettled in the suburbs (briefly, sadly not great deep flurries) It was one year I was really thankful that my "Auntie" always did the full cooked catastrophe when it was her turn!

purchasewoods said...

Foodkitty: Well before my time on the White Christmas although today is shaping up in that direction. lol!

I needed the butt kicking so thanks for obliging!

Hope you are not buried in the preparations for Christmas. It is an easy one for me this year as I can't stand long enough to do all that cooking. And I had to make my husband the designated shopper - much to his dismay.

Ho!Ho!Ho!

L